Thursday, 2 August 2012

It's taking shape....

For the last couple of weeks, I have really doubted that it would ever happen, but here we are: 
The roof is done (more less)!

The windows will be fitted next week, but the roof is watertight! 
If you have followed this blog and my last entry, you'll know what an immense relief it is to say so :)

The new front gable:


More pictures after the jump.





The back gable:



The dormers:



There's already two new skylights:


Slowly I'm getting a better idea what it will look like  :)


In the back you can see what used to be our bedroom.


And this is what it looked like before the new rooftop was built and connected to that part of the house. 
(I hope when everything is done we will find our furniture still intact under the plastic cover ;)

Here's what kept the handymen happy while they were working overtime :)


Not that we were lazy, mind you. 
Frank and I painted 120 roof boards (twice! To make the gray paint stick)


Hard work, let me tell you!

It looks nice though (from our balcony):



Now phase two of the demolition work can begin...(removing the walls in the second floor apartment)

The boys did some awesome (and rather dusty) work here. Two days and all the walls have been removed!


 The hallway, with the dining room to the right.



Looking from the dining room into the open kitchen. 


And view from the dining room into the living room. 

Like I said, it takes some imagination to look past all the rubble and dirt, but it's taking shape! :)

And most of the most horrendous "dirty work" seems to be done. There's still the new staircase to the upper floor that needs to be built/fit in and I cannot quite imagine what it will look like. We are a bit sad though to have to part with the "old one" but it wasn't possible to keep it (due to construction/stability reasons).







4 comments:

  1. This is utterly amazing! What a massive project! I'm so pleased that your roof is watertight, and probably by now you have windows too. Cause for celebration!
    It is most important to keep handymen happy. You need to factor into building costs a budget for pizza, coffee and chocolate biscuits. Looks like you're doing well there!
    Wishing you the best of luck in the next phase,
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali :)

      It's really getting a lot better now that most of the "dirty" work has been done. To be honest, had I known up front what a massive undertaking this is, I might have had second thoughts about this ;)

      Anyway... I'm sure it'll be all worth it in the end (I hope).

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, you do live on a construction site right now. Thank you for sharing all these photos, it is very interesting to follow the process of all that. And sweet how you took care of the workers with some delicious food. That's the best motivation for them, I believe. And Frank and you have been helping as well, so good job. Can't wait to see how it will develop over time, and I'm sure it's gonna look awesome once finished completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joey.
      Yup, it's quite an undertaking but hopefully worth all the hassle and stress :)

      As soon as I have a second, I'll hop over to your collumn to catch up with your con report! *hugs*

      Delete