Sunday, 29 January 2012

Thai Onion-Coconut-Cream Soup

What we had for dinner...

Thai Onion-Coconut-Cream Soup.

(leftovers from yesterday's lunch).


 (recipe after the jump)


This spicy coconut cream soup is just the right recipe to warm up after a walk in the ice cold winter weather. (I just love trying out new recipes, especially when they're so easy to make and the outcome is so delicious. Found a new favorite soup!)









Ingredients:

olive oil
3 red onions  or 5 charlotte onions
a bundle of shallots
lemongrass
a can of coconut-cream
1 chilli pepper
a handful of basil leaves
400 ml vegetable stock


spices: 3 tsp. coriander, 2 tbsp. thai curry, 1/2 tsp. cumin seed, 1 tsp. of grated lemon rind, freshly ground basil leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, salt, pepper,

Mix the coconut cream and the vegetable stock in a pot, add the spices and the lemongrass and cook until boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for five minutes.

In the meantime, stir-fry the onions in the olive oil until glazed, then add to the soup and let simmer for another three minutes.

The original recipe adds bite-sized pieces of trout filets to the soup to give it more „substance“.

I replaced them with prawns which I sautéed in the rest of the olive oil for two minutes before adding to the soup for another three minutes.

Remove the lemongrass and cinnamon stick, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with toast or French bred :)

Those who like it more spicy/hot can add a chopped chilli pepper to the soup.

all pictures (c) Lausi



4 comments:

  1. The meals you prepare always look so fancy. You really must enjoy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah... but that's the trick, you know? It looks fancy but it is quite simple :)

      I DO enjoy cooking immensely but only when I'm in the mood for it. Sometimes I really don't want to bother (especially weekdays when I'm working).

      I don't know how mothers do it. I mean that "daily obligation" to get a meal ont he table for the kids must be a hassle.

      I also like "experimenting" with new recipes and stuff.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmh, looks great. I am a big fan of Thai food and I am going to taste that. Hugs, M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you liked it, hun!
      *hugs back* :)

      Delete