Sunday, 4 December 2011

No Regrets?...

Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. 
Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. 
Choose happiness.
(by Bronnie Ware)

  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
     
  2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
     
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
     
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
     
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Bronnie Ware is a woman who worked in palliative care for many years and who listed the above top five regrets of the dying in her very inspirational article which she shared via her website.

The way she described her work of accompanying terminally ill people through their last weeks of their life,  really touched me deeply and made me think a lot, especially about how often I forget to „let myself be happy“.

There‘s a lot of people and things in my life which make me happy and I know, I am blessed that way.

Reading through the list of regrets above, it sounds so easy to keep in mind and yet it is so difficult to remember when we‘re faced with our every-day-life.  More often than not we find ourselves following the rules and expectations others „dictate“.

Fear of change, fear of rejection, and fear of failure stop us from going after our goals and being our true selves.

I have decided to take a more conscious effort each day to really look at all the blessings in my life and to concentrate on the important things which are love, health and relationships...

...and to let myself be happy!

photo (c) Lausi

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you. It's never easy to be yourself especially when you are someone that doesn't like to follow the crowd/society. It's a more difficult life this way, but so worth it! Staying true to yourself means everything and I do realize that the older I get. Be who you are and don't be afraid of it because that's the only way how you'll be able to connect with kindred-spirit.

    ReplyDelete