Saturday, 19 March 2011

Ever had a complete stranger giving you flowers?



(Aren't they pretty?)

Ever had a complete stranger giving you flowers?

Here‘s proof that a day that starts out with a mishap can hold a very nice surprise for you.

I drove into town today and parked my car at the side of the street. Then I went to get a parking ticket from the automat. I slid my credit card into the machine and the display said it couldn‘t read the card.

Okayyyyy.....

I pressed the cancel button, expecting to get my card back...however... NADA... ZIP... NILCH ...!

The stupid thing just kept my card.

Now what?

I tried again then I tugged at the card that stuck out a bit, but to no avail. The damn thing didn‘t move one iota. Next I tried the service phone number that was listed on the automat in case there was a „malfunction“. Yeah, right. I‘d call NOT giving back my credit card a bit more than a simple malfunction, I‘d rate it a minor disaster.

Of course there was no one answering my call. Hey, it‘s Saturday, what did I expect?!?! Silly me!

While I was standing there (freezing my butt off BTW... since the wind was really chilly), a young man came by to put a coin into the automat for his own parking ticket. And oh what a surprise, it worked. NOT that this caused the automat to spit out my credit card, mind you.

The young man offered his help and tried to get it out but he too, couldn‘t really grasp it firmly enough to pull it out. He gave up after five minutes.

I called Frank, hoping that best hubby in the world would come to the rescue with some magic tool to get back my card.

While I waited, a lady crossed the street to my side, rolling a suitcase along and with a huge bouquet of flowers in her hand. She asked me for directions to the train station. It was really just around the corner and I told her how to get there when all of a sudden, she held out the flowers and said:

„May I give these to you? I have a long trip ahead of me and I really don‘t think they‘ll keep until I‘m home. I don‘t want to drag them along and see them go to waste. They are supposed to bring joy to someone.“

That was such a sweet thing I really didn‘t know what to say. I mean, I NEVER had a complete stranger giving me flowers in the streets :)

Needless to say my dark mood vanished instantly. Especially since ten minutes later, best hubby in the world arrived and indeed managed to retrieve my credit card.

So what started out as a miserable morning, turned into a very nice day in the end. The weather cleared up, I got some clothes shopping done (spoilt myself something rotten, I must admit) and in the afternoon took my Mom on a ride with the convertible to try out a new café in town.

Now I‘m waiting for best hubby in the world to get home from his work on the „house project“ (which will be another blog entry) and to spoil him with a nice dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment